Nanomaterials and Polymer Chemistry Laboratory
Staff & Contact
|Educational Staff||Prof. Hiroharu Ajiro
Associate Prof. Tsuyoshi Ando
Assistant Prof. Chanthaset Nalinthip
Assistant Prof.Hiroaki Yoshida
Education and Research Activities in the Laboratory
Based on the concept of "molecular technology", this laboratory was established in 2015 to conduct functional materials research in the field of polymer chemistry. Students who are interested in polymer synthesis and nanomaterials are welcome. The development of functional polymer materials requires various knowledge including organic synthesis, analytical methods, and materials design, all of which are covered in the laboratory. Moreover, our functional materials will contribute to highly reliable medical devices and environmentally-friendly plastics. We offer a thorough education through discussions, presentations, and participation in academic conferences and meetings so that students become qualified researchers.
In this laboratory, high-performance polymers and functional polymers are prepared by various approaches such as molecular design, polymer structure control, and effective polymer-polymer interaction.
1. General Synthetic Polymers
In order to give additional functions and higher physical properties, general synthetic polymers are modified (Fig. 1).
2. Biodegradable Polymers
Multi-functional Biodegradable polymers are designed (Fig. 2).
3. Amphiphilic Polymers
Functional materials are designed using amphiphilic polymers (Fig. 3).
4. Nano Structure Control
In order to produce functional polymer materials, nanostructure control approaches are employed. For example, nano thin films for thermal storage materials and adhesives and nano particles for drug delivery systems.
5. Topological polymers
Biocompatibility on material surfaces can be controlled using precisely-designed star polymers (Fig. 4).
Recent Research Papers and Achievements
- N. Chanthaset, H. Ajiro*, Materialia, 2019, 5, 100178.
- S. Seitz, H. Ajiro*, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, 2019, 190, 57.
- D. Aoki, H. Ajiro*, Macromol. Rapid Commun., 2018, 51, 7845.
- P. Charoensumran, H. Ajiro*, Polym. J., 2018, 50, 1021.
- K. Kan, H. Ajiro*, Chem. Lett., 2018, 47, 591.
- N. Chanthaset, Y. Takahashi, Y. Haramiishi, M. Akashi, H. Ajiro*, J. Polym. Sci. Part A: Polym. Chem., 2017, 55, 3466.
- R. Kawatani, Y. Nishiyama, H. Kamikubo, K. Kakiuchi, H. Ajiro*, Nanoscale Res. Lett., 2017, 12, 461.
- F. Nurlidar, M. Kobayashi, K. Terada, T. Ando, M. Tanihara, J Biomat Sci, Polym Ed., 2017, 28, 1480.
- Y. Kusumastuti, Y. Shibasaki, S. Hirohara, M. Kobayashi, K. Terada, T. Ando, M. Tanihara, J Tissue Eng Regen Med., 2015, 11, 869.